The year 2019 ended on a rather disastrous note for China, where the whole country was affected diversely by a new epidemic: Novel Coronavirus. As days passed, the epidemic spread reaching casualties up to thousands throughout the world.
This deadly Corona Virus originated from Wuhan, China, and the first case was reported on 31st December 2019. More than thousands of cases have increased since the date and experts say that the number is likely to increase in the near future.
Suspected of Having the Virus
Because the disease can easily kill a person, a person who is suspected of having the virus in their system is immediately taken to medical care and kept under seclusion to avoid the virus from spreading.
The Coronavirus comes from a big family that can cause illness, which can be as simple as the common flu or can be as severe as respiratory diseases that can lead to death. Twenty countries have to date reported medical emergencies resulting from Coronavirus.
Since the plague has affected people of China in major numbers, there is medical assistance that is being sent to the country from other countries across the globe. Teams of doctors, nurses, and experts are arriving in the land of China in scores to rid the country of this deadly epidemic.
The symptoms of the Corona Virus are very common and not easily recognizable. Because of this fact, a majority of people ignore these symptoms and fail to seek medical assistance. The patients of Corona Virus are reported to have mild to major respiratory illness along with the following symptoms:
- Fever or Flu
- Common Cold
- Shortness of breath
How can I avoid the Corona Virus?
Since the epidemic is affecting more and more people every day, it is necessary that you keep yourself under check. Here is a list of things you can do to avoid getting infected by the Virus:
- Wash your hands with a disinfectant as regularly as possible.
- Wash your hands with soap after you touch articles kept in public areas; after you shake hands with a new person; after coughing or sneezing; and after caring for the sick; after touching any animal.
- Cover your mouth while you are coughing or sneezing using a tissue or your elbow. Discard tissue immediately after use.
- Maintain a distance of at least 1-3 meters between people who seem to have cold or fever. Avoid visiting places that have a crowd, especially if your immune system is weak or if you have a bad medical history.
- Avoid consumption of undercooked, raw food, or animal products. Handle meat, fish, and eggs with care and try to avoid them for at least a month or two.
Myth vs. Facts of Corona Virus:
With the emergence of a deadly virus, there have been a lot of myths circulated through countries about it that have led to a state of panic all around. Here are some completely false myths:
- Packages and mails coming from China cannot contain Corona Virus.
- The virus cannot be spread through pets, although it is always advisable to wash your hands before handling them.
- Vaccines against Pnuemonia do not gurantee protection against Corona Virus.
- The Virus can affect people of all ages, but patients with a weaker immune system or medical history of asthma, diabetes, and heart diseases are vulnerable to it.
Along with these myths, it is important to keep in mind that you do not believe anything or everything that you read via WhatsApp messages or articles published on the net. Please fact checks any piece of information before panicking or sending it forward to a friend/family member.